Sunday, 21 May 2017

Embracing my inner girly geek!

This month I turned 22, which means I'm definitely a grown up now, there's no turning back! When you reach your 20s I think it is important to embrace who you are and not be afraid of what people think of you. I am a girly geek and every day I embrace these elements of my personality, whether that be by trying out new beauty techniques or showing off my PlayStation themed phone case. In this blog post I'm going to talk about how I embrace my true personality and why you should too.

A Pokemon training Princess #Goals
When I was little I thought there were two options: you were a tomboy or a girly girl. This was very confusing for me, as I appeared to be a bit of both. As a 6 year old my ambition was to be both a Princess and a Pokemon trainer. Of course these are no longer my goals as an adult, but they are still very much a part of my personality. I love my girly and fashion conscious feminine side and I adore the part of me that is passionate about geek culture.

Without a doubt, the hardest time to accept yourself for who you are is when you are a teenager. In my early teenage years I hung out with a group of VERY girly girls. I like to refer to them as: 'the compulsory lipgloss club'. 

Although I enjoyed being girly, I found it difficult to fit in with this group of girls, as they became extremely judgmental of anyone different to themselves. For example, I was criticised for being a fan of Doctor Who, as in their eyes it was definitely not classed as a 'cool' TV show. When hanging out with these girls you would be condemned if you had a single hair out of place, were wearing the wrong kind of clothes or didn't like the popular boy bands that they did.

Eventually, I saw sense and realised I would be much happier if I made friends with people who accepted me for who I really was. So, I did and instantly wished I had done it sooner!

Now, as an adult, I show off all aspects of my personality as often as I can. I do this because I am proud to be both geeky and girly. You should never have to pretend to be something you're not. Even if someone doesn't enjoy the same things as you, they may be interested to find out about your hobbies. When I tell people I've been to comic-cons they are often surprised, but intrigued to know more. If people don't like you for who you are, then that's their problem. You should never have to change yourself to please others.

Everyone is meant to be unique. If we all had the same personality, the world would be a very boring place. So, I urge you all to embrace your true personality and worry less about what others may think. Trust me, it makes you feel a lot happier and makes you a much more interesting person to be around!

xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment