Sunday, 8 January 2017

Goodbye 2016

Oh my goodness it's 2017 already! I can't believe it. It is definitely time for an update. The past year has flown by, but despite this I feel that a lot has happened and it's important to reflect on it.

Hello 2017
For many people 2016 was a bad year, there were numerous shock outcomes in politics around the world and we lost so many beloved stars. The geek community took a particularly big hit losing legendary actors such as: Alan Rickman, Kenny Baker, Carrie Fisher and many more. Each time we heard another name of a celebrity who had passed away the world grieved together, as we all remembered the magical stories these talented performers brought to life.

Despite all of the grief 2016 brought, for me personally it was a pretty good year. This time last year I was in the midst of exams while also trying to write my dissertation and organise numerous other university projects. Now, I have graduated university with a first class honours degree and I even themed my dissertation around the geek community that I love!

Since graduating I have landed myself two exciting jobs that I am now hectically jumping between (in a good way). Through doing these jobs I have had numerous wonderful experiences and have met so many amazing people including: Star Wars and Harry Potter actor Warwick Davies and Nadiya Hussain from The Great British Bake Off.

In the geek world we have had some high points as well. I feel that being a geek is gradually becoming more 'cool' which I see as a great thing. In my eyes the more popular nerd culture is, the more geeky content we will get. For example, we have had some amazing science fiction and fantasy films this year. Personally, I especially loved Star Wars: Rouge One and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.


On top of all this I am thrilled with how far my blog has come. This year I have improved the rate of content I produce as well as the design of my blog. Plus, my @GlamAndGeek Instagram account is steadily gaining more and more followers who are wonderful geeky people like me. I am so grateful for this online community and the fact that I have found so many amazing like-minded people through writing this blog. I feel so lucky to be part of such a friendly and positive online community - especially as its something that seems to be so rare nowadays. So, thank you to all of you.

I can't wait to see what 2017 has in store for me. Who knows where I'll be this time next year?! I hope you are all as excited as I am to see what this new year brings.

Let me know in the comments how you felt about 2016 and what goals you have for this year.



Happy New Year!
xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment